Introduction

Let’s start with an introduction, yes? I’m from Fredericksburg, VA, attending UMW as a commuting student. My pastimes are pretty traditional, consisting of reading, watching movies and television, listening to music, eating and sleeping (my favorites!), and now that the summer break is over, doing homework. I enjoy nearly all genres of music, and I have a passion for classic movies.

The reason I’m taking the FSEM: When Americans Came Marching Home is because I’ve always found history to be an appealing subject, especially wartime history. The American Civil War is of great interest to me, as well as World War I, but I find the 30s, 40s, and 50s eras the most compelling. With this class, I hope to have fun and learn a lot about some of these periods in history.

6 Responses to “Introduction”

1. jmcclurken Says:

I’m intrigued by the notion of listing “doing homework” as a pastime.

2. kokoro Says:

Ha, that was just to make me sound studious. Did it work? I suppose pastime isn’t the best word for it, in that it’s not something that makes the time pass agreeably, as it is more like something that just makes the time pass.

3. jmcclurken Says:

I guess it depends on how you parse the word.

I don’t know that it made you “sound studious” but it did make you sound like you wanted to “sound studious.”

4. loco8spot Says:

I must agree with you. The best part of history is the wartime history, even though some would argue that you could say that is all of history. Also, it must be nice being able to sleep at home all the time insted of these ‘sweet’ beds here.

5. jmcclurken Says:

What makes you so interested in the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s?

6. kokoro Says:

It could certainly be argued that wartime history is all of history. And I am glad to say I don’t have to sleep in those ‘sweet’ beds.

While on the subject of wartime history, I’m greatly interested in World War II, which naturally expands my interest into the 30s and 50s, because these eras impacted and were influenced by the 40s, respectively. It’s like three parts of a story: beginning, middle, and end. Not to say that history is ever that simple, as the 1930s are hardly where the problems that led to the war began. The effects of this war are so far reaching, I can’t help but be interested. The Civil War, for instance, shaped the American character, but WWII shaped the character of the world.

Also, as I said above, I have a passion for classic movies. How could I not love the eras that produced many of what I consider the greatest movies and actors of our time? As odd as it is, I feel nostalgic for this time period, despite never experiencing it myself.